Yahoo News - Latest News & Headlines
|U.S. deploys more troops to Middle East, blames Iran for tanker attacks
President Donald Trump's administration also invoked the threat from Iran to declare a national security-related emergency that would clear the sale of billions of dollars' worth of weapons to Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and other countries without required congressional approval. The actions were the latest by the Trump administration as it highlights what it sees as a threat of potential attack by Iran, and follows decisions to speed the deployment of an aircraft carrier strike group as well as send bombers and additional Patriot missiles to the Middle East. The deployments, decried by Iran as escalatory, have come amid a freeze in direct communication between the United States and Iran that has raised concerns about the increasing risk of an inadvertent conflict.
POSTED MAY 24, 2019 4:10 PM
|The Latest: Runaway barges cause 'minimal' damage to dam
JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) — The Latest on severe weather moving across the central United States (all times local):
POSTED MAY 23, 2019 9:03 PM
|US hiker found after two weeks lost in Hawaii forest
An American yoga instructor who spent two weeks lost in the wilds of Hawaii and survived on plants and water has been found alive. Amanda Eller, 35, was rescued Friday beside a creek bed at the bottom of a ravine in a national forest on Maui after she was spotted by a helicopter.
POSTED MAY 25, 2019 10:42 AM
|Alabama sued over law which bans abortion even in cases of rape and incest
Alabama is being sued over a law which would ban nearly all abortions in the state, even in cases of rape and incest.The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) and Planned Parenthood filed the lawsuit on behalf of abortion providers, who have asked a US federal judge to block the legislation.The law, which was signed by governor Kay Ivey last week, would make performing an abortion at any stage of pregnancy a crime punishable by up to life in prison for the provider.The only exception would be when the woman's health is at serious risk.Unless blocked by a judge, the law is set to come into effect in November."Make no mistake, abortion remains - and will remain - safe and legal in Alabama. With this lawsuit, we are seeking a court order to make sure this law never takes effect," said Randall Marshall, executive director of the ACLU of Alabama.The lawsuit says the criminalising of abortion is clearly unconstitutional and would harm women by forcing them to continue pregnancies against their will."For over 46 years, since the Supreme Court decided Roe vs Wade, US law has recognised the fundamental constitutional right to make the profoundly important and personal decision whether or not to terminate a pregnancy," the lawsuit reads.The plaintiffs in the case are the three Alabama clinics that perform abortions, Planned Parenthood and Dr Yashica Robinson, an obstetrician who also provides abortions at a Huntsville clinic.Emboldened by new conservatives on the Supreme Court, Alabama is part of a wave of conservative states seeking to mount new legal challenges to Roe vs Wade, the 1973 landmark Supreme Court decision that legalised abortion nationwide.Governors in Kentucky, Mississippi, Ohio and Georgia have approved bans on abortion once a foetal heartbeat is detected, which can happen as early as the sixth week of pregnancy.None of the laws have taken effect and all are expected to be blocked by the courts as the legal challenges play out with an ultimate eye on the Supreme Court.Supporters of the Alabama law have said they expected a lawsuit and expected to initially lose in court, but they hope the appeal could eventually land before the Supreme Court."My goal with this bill, and I think all of our goals, is to have Roe vs Wade turned over and that decision ability sent back to the states," Republican representative Terri Collins, the bill's sponsor, said when it passed last week.Additional reporting by AP
POSTED MAY 24, 2019 11:15 AM
|Man lights cigarette on Spirit Airlines flight in startling viral footage
Wild footage from a Spirit Airlines flight to Minneapolis, Minnesota, shows apassenger who began smoking mid-flight, breaking one of the cardinal rules ofair travel
POSTED MAY 24, 2019 12:15 PM
|Life in prison for 'evil' loner who kidnapped US teen, killed parents
Calling him the "embodiment of evil," a US judge on Friday sentenced a 21-year-old man to life in prison for murdering a couple in their home in order to kidnap their 13-year-old daughter. Jake Patterson pleaded guilty in March to first degree murder and kidnapping for shooting dead James and Denise Closs in their rural Wisconsin home last October. In handing down the maximum sentence of life without parole, Judge James Babler rejected defense attorneys' pleas for the possibility of parole in several decades' time.
POSTED MAY 24, 2019 5:28 PM
|Scouted: Nordstrom’s Half-Yearly Sale is Here With Up to 50% Off Hundreds of Styles
Bi-annually, Nordstrom slashes prices on some of its top sellers. And that time is right now. During the Half Yearly Sale, you can get up to 50% off all of the brands you know and love from Nordstrom, like Madewell, Ted Baker, Cole Haan, Thule, and more. It’s a smorgasbord of style, with up to half-off a ton of clothing, shoes, home goods, and more. The PAIGE Verdugo Crop Skinny Jeans are 50% off and is the perfect denim to wear through the spring and into the summer because it’s lightweight and a light wash. The Topman Triple Stitch Mac Coat is on sale for $72 (40% off) and is a stylish layer you’ll need when those thunderstorms inevitably roll in. We’d be remiss if we didn’t mention that the famously stylish and comfortable Cole Haan ZeroGrand Stitch-lite Wingtip Oxford is on sale for under $100 (40% off). Or upgrade your everyday bag to the sleek, durable Madewell Abroad Tote Bag, made from leather with a zip-top closure that easily fits your laptop (and more), on sale for $119 (40% off). This sale only comes twice a year, so you should probably stock up while you can.Scouted is internet shopping with a pulse. Follow us on Twitter and sign up for our newsletter for even more recommendations and exclusive content. Please note that if you buy something featured in one of our posts, The Daily Beast may collect a share of sales.Read more at The Daily Beast.Get our top stories in your inbox every day. Sign up now!Daily Beast Membership: Beast Inside goes deeper on the stories that matter to you. Learn more.
POSTED MAY 24, 2019 7:10 AM
|This Is the Fateful Decision That Led to Theresa May's Downfall
The date was June 9, 2017
POSTED MAY 24, 2019 10:59 AM
|Facebook accused of leaving 'broken children' in wake of its commercial aims, abuse inquiry hears
Facebook has been accused of leaving 'broken children' as collateral damage in the wake of their commercial aims, the child sex abuse inquiry has heard. Barrister William Chapman, representing the victims of abuse at the Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse (IICSA), said social media companies were not preventing paedophiles reaching children as it was “contrary to their business model” and that their apps needed to be “fundamentally redesigned”. Police also warned that tech firms were going ahead with plans to encrypt more features "in the certain knowledge" it would lead to more children being abused. The warnings came as the inquiry’s hearing into online child abuse drew to a close yesterday. Over the last fortnight IICSA has heard evidence from Facebook, Apple, Microsoft and Google about their efforts to combat child abuse online. Giving his closing statement, Mr Chapman singled out Facebook as the “unacceptable face of social media”, citing that over half of reported grooming offences in 2017 and 2018 related to the company or its Instagram and WhatsApp apps. William Chapman giving his closing address to the inquiry He said that social networks scanned for evidence of abuse after it happened and that they now needed to change their business model to stop abusers easily contacting children. Mr Chapman said: “What they will not do, because it is contrary to their business model, is to restrict the opportunities for abuse before it takes place.” He added: “They leave behind broken children like so much collateral damage. “Money, they say, is no object but none you heard from has a dedicated budget to tackling this problem.” Among the recommendations being made to the inquiry on behalf of victims are for tech companies pay compensation to those abused via their services and that a new criminal offence be made of posing online as a child online without a reasonable excuse. Mr Chapman also accused tech companies of not giving the inquiry a “straight answer” about the scale of abuse on their sites and selectively releasing figures without context. Earlier in the hearing Microsoft failed to provide figures for how many children had been groomed on its live chat services Xbox Live and Skype and Facebook was similarly unable to say how many registered sex offenders had been caught using its services. “It is not acceptable to hide the extent of the problem on your platform in a black box out of which you prick pinholes for others to see only hints of the full horror within," said Mr Chapman. Later in the hearing, Debra Powell QC, speaking for the National Police Chiefs Council, warned that tech giants' plans to make ever more services encrypted would lead to more children being abused. Last month Facebook announced plans to add end-to-end encryption to its 1.3 billion-user Messenger service, meaning not even it will be able to see the content of messages. Ms Powell said: “Currently many technology companies are building in and offering to their users ever greater privacy protections, including end-to-end encryption, in the certain knowledge that this will make the detection and prevention of child sexual abuse and exploitation more difficult. “The inevitable result must be that more children will be abused and exploited and that their ordeals will go on for longer before the perpetrators can be caught, if they are caught at all.”
POSTED MAY 24, 2019 12:26 PM
|U.S. Sends 1,500 Troops to Mideast After Blaming Attacks on Iran
The U.S. will bolster forces in the region by about 1,500 troops, though Trump and the Pentagon said that the deployment is for defensive purposes with a focus on missile defense, surveillance and keeping open shipping lanes in the Persian Gulf. “We’re going to be sending a relatively small number of troops to the Middle East,” Trump said as he departed the White House on Friday for Japan.
POSTED MAY 24, 2019 4:08 PM