Homeowners Insurance Information
All Texas Residents,
Click The “Start My Quote” Link Below For Your
Free Home Insurance Quote.
Proudly serving the entire state of Texas, including but not limited to: Arlington, Burleson,
Mansfield, Midlothian, Fort Worth, Keller, Southlake, Grand Prairie, and Cedar Hill.
Protect your home, call The Matthews Insurance Group today at 817-563-5555, and we’ll ensure you get covered with personalized protection.
Begin Your Home Insurance Quote
Request Agent Consultation
Everyone needs homeowners insurance. Call The Matthews Insurance Group today at 817-563-5555, and we’ll ensure you get covered with targeted protection.
What is Homeowners insurance?
When you buy a house, you’ll put a lot of money into a mortgage, upkeep and maintenance over the years. You want to protect that investment. Homeowners insurance is one of the most reassuring ways to do so.
Coverage can help you get the money to repair, replace or rebuild your house or possessions following devastating losses. It can also help you repay others if they sustain property damage or injuries through their interactions with you. Coverage can even help you pay others for damages your pet causes them.
Why do you need homeowners insurance?
Homeowners insurance is about financial security. It can help you when costly accidents happen at home that you would rather avoid. When all is said and done, you will benefit from coverage.
Let’s say that something like a fire, tornado or hail damages your home. Repair bills might skyrocket. Some items and possessions might even be total losses. You might not have the money on hand to replace these items without facing financial trouble. A claim on your home’s insurance can help you avoid those cost losses that you don’t want to have to deal with.
Is homeowners insurance required in Texas?
Texas law does not explicitly require homeowners to carry home insurance. However, it does allow mortgage lenders to require loan applicants to carry coverage. Therefore, if you plan to finance your home, you’ll probably have to keep a policy.
What does coverage include?
All home policies differ, but they all usually contain a lot of similar pieces. Within a policy, you can find:
- Structure protection: Coverage can insure your house, garage and often detached buildings on the property. It can cover you in case of damage from fires, weather, theft and similar hazards.
- Possessions insurance: This coverage pays for damaged belongings. Protection might cover everything from food in the pantry to computer systems in your office and clothes in the closet.
- Liability coverage: If you harm someone else or damage their property, you can use this coverage to compensate them. Coverage will often pay for incidents on or off your property.
- Additional expense protection: Do you need to move out temporarily after an accident at home? Let this coverage reimburse you for expenses like dining or hotel bills.
Additional Coverage for Flood, Earthquake and Wind Damage
A standard homeowners policy will have a lot of rock-solid coverage for multiple risks around your house. Yet, you might not have coverage for things like floods, hurricane-force winds and earthquakes.
- Weather-related floods, like from river swells, usually don’t have coverage under standard home insurance. You’ll likely need a flood insurance policy backed by the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). Keep in mind, certain water damage, like from burst pipes, might still have coverage on your standard homeowners policy. Check out our blog article on flood insurance and basement coverage.
- Wind damage will usually have coverage under your standard home policy. However, if you live in an area prone to hurricanes, then you might need a special policy endorsement.
- Earthquakes usually doesn’t have coverage under a standard home policy. However, agents can often add endorsements to your policy to protect against these risks.
Talk to one of our agents about whether you qualify for flood, wind and quake insurance. We’ll do everything we can to add this coverage to your policy. Keep in mind, damage brought on by normal wear and tear will almost never have coverage on any policy.
What are the factors that determine my home insurance rates?
Everyone’s home will have a unique value and face a unique set of risks. Such factors will influence how much you will have to pay for your policy. Some of the factors that influence premiums might include:
- The policy limits you choose
- Your home’s value
- Your location
- The value of your possessions
- Whether you have a pet
- Your claims history
- Proximities to police, fire and ambulance services
Generally, the more risks you have, the more you might have to pay for your policy. However, we’ll help you get the right balance of coverage to financially protect you, but also keep your rates affordable.
How much is the average home insurance deductible?
Most home insurance policies will include deductibles that you will have to pay for certain damage. In Texas, deductibles generally range from $500 to $2,500. So, if you have a $5,000 policy claim and a $1,000 deductible, you will pay the $1,000. Then, your policy will pay the remaining $4,000 of the claim.
Generally, if you choose a higher deductible, your insurer will reduce your policy premium because you will now represent a lower risk to them. So, getting a high deductible might prove to your advantage. However, keep in mind, if you choose too high a deductible, you might not get full help from a policy claim. For example, if you have a $1,000 deductible and only a $500 claim, then you will receive no help from your policy. Could you afford to pay that $500 on your own? So, your security will depend on finding the right balance of deductible and affordability.
Who has the cheapest homeowners insurance in Texas?
There are dozens of homeowners insurance providers in Texas. There are also a lot of policies that might fit your needs. However, you can usually find only one that offers you the best cost benefit.
Here at The Matthews Insurance Group we can compare the policy options of multiple providers to hone in on one that has appropriate coverage for you. However, we’ll also make sure you can obtain the best cost-benefit for the coverage you choose. You’ll always know that when you buy from us, you’ll get bang for your buck.
Homeowners Insurance Quote Forms
Looking for coverage? Click any of the following links to submit a quote for quick, accurate and affordable rates.
Homeowners Insurance Customer Service Options
Self policy service any time of the day, directly from our website. To request a policy change on your account, click any of the following policy service options below.